Sunday 22 April 2018

Flash Your Dark Ages!

Well, I have got them and these aren't very good images of ... them .... erm ... 

I was going to do a Lion Rampant battle report but then ... I didn't.


This unit I would use as Viking Huscarls. I want to increase the unit size to 8 in my Lion Rampant variant games just for appearance. I don't intend - atm - to change the unit size in the game - will still function at 6. 


Bondi fresh off the longships. I like to have a front rank of mailed warriors backed up by warriors in tunics and often without helms. 


How did these guys get into another snap? A better image of the Viking general I like to call "Eric Bloodaxe" (or Anlaf) in the background. 


More Viking bondi. I like grouping similar shielded models into a single unit. To my mind this could have been a way that such warriors in this period distinguished themselves and built morale and displayed communal spirit. 


More huscarls behind - these with dane axe. 


The good guys - err - Saxons. A units of thegns. Ready to die for their lord - shown behind on the barrow - and make good their oaths sworn in the mead hall. The lamb and cross will protect them. 


More thegns. Monks in the rear. They've got a piece of the true cross you know. Been handed down since Mount Badon when Arthur very carelessly kept charging people with it. 


Now to the fyrd. Same idea as the Vikings - mail to the front with similar shield patterns to mark specific groups. 


Nope, not the same unit. I do like red/white for the Saxons. 


From behind the Viking line. Across the ford ... to plunder ... I mean glory!


A slave - skulking from a flogging - peers through the trees at the war hedge. Will the Saxons triumph? 

No comments:

Post a Comment