Wednesday 4 April 2018

The Jungle Grows Much Taller

In my ongoing quest to become satisfied with my jungle scenery bases, another landmark has been reached. 

I've had mixed success in ordering larger plastic plants from the Mystic East but yesterday my latest $20 in purchases paid off. The palm trees and taller trees (supposed to be 17cm max but a bit larger I think) arrived. Below is the first shot of the trees on my existing green bases - this photo was taken in the dim light of dusk in the jungle. 


From this point I switched to night vision for the rest. Oh, it does look green. 


The additions can be clearly seen - the palms and the trees with the tan coloured trunks. 


My jungle bases are thick card with one, two or three pieces of foamcard stacked on top in irregular shapes. The whole piece is coated with PVA and sand which is then painted and flocked. From here I simply punch holes down into the foamcard to secure the plant bases - glued into place of course. 


Adding the new larger trees was simply matter of punching some new holes in and applying glue. At the moment PVA but I suspect with general use I'll upgrade to superglue. 

I want to turn my attention to the bases next that mark the areas of jungle on the table. These are a little too regular for my liking and I've secured the use of a dremel in about two weeks to work on some new more irregular pieces. 


Above are the smaller pieces of scatter terrain using the same card, PVA and sand process. Cardboard seems plenty durable for this use. My jungle pieces now come in three different height levels and when combined I do like the new look. 



Now I just need to organise opponents for some regular colonial games - I enjoy Congo the most but IHMN and Death in a Dark Continent or Mud and the Blood are other possibilities. 


I already have some more African tribesmen on the way to expand my spearmen units and I intend to paint three small (5) units of cannibals - marked by warpaint skeletons over their bodies. Then my intention is to dip back into the Foundry miniatures to secure more dangerous animals, some villagers, African archers and Arab slavers with swords. I would dearly like to secure a suitable rudimentary African god for my cannibals to prance about in celebration or to conduct the fetid rituals of the deep forest. 

2 comments: