Tuesday 5 January 2016

Revenge of the Briton

It is with considerable enthusiasm that myself, and Michael a close friend of mine, embraced the "Dux Britanniarum." They read easily ... once you've got your eye into the Lardies style of organisation and expression ... the background is exceptional ... the period tickles and excites the imagination ... but on the table top .... meh!
 I don't really know why this is. We've made some errors with the rules - true - but have had some enjoyable games ... but I have never been fulfilled by them. I just haven't really enjoyed playing the games. The Saxons initially massacred the Britons ... mainly due to their better troop quality ... but as game have gone on the Saxon players have been "extremely perplexed" by the benefits of the shieldwall rule. I am not certain yet as to the dominance given in battle by this rule but my companions certainly dislike it ... and I value what they have to say.
 That's not to say we have given up on these rules or on this period. We are still excited by the rules. I am worried that the main Saxon advantage seems to be their speed and I do not want games to turn into a "Benny Hill" type scenario where the Brits flail after the cheeky Saxons evening after evening. We have also noticed that loot does seem a little hard to come by for the Saxons but then again we haven't put ourselves fully into a campaign as yet (although we have given it a good go ... linking 4-5 games and not really getting anywhere.)
 All that said ... and I dislike criticism of an innovative company that I have the utmost respect for ... I am still looking for that rules system that scratches my Dark Age itches (I have posted before about Sword and Spear not quite doing it and I think Dux Bellorum came pretty close ... but Saga isn't really it although it is fun ... so as you can see I have tried a few.)
 Onto the battle ... I do like images of my Dark Age collection .... thanks so much to Gripping Beast plastics who create a magnificent product!


The pagan Saxons pour off the boats. (I had inflated the forces well past the Dux starting numbers ... I wanted 'bloodshed!') 


Objective one for the Saxons ... the monks had to run ahead of impending doom. Brother Sodomicus cops an arrow or two for his troubles. (If only they had shot Brother Fellatius ... he likes it rough!) 


The valiant defenders of Briton surge onto the field! 


The Saxons care little for the history of the land they have invaded ... onto plunder. 


The second force of Britons ... their army was separated ... by the force of Medraut threatened the Saxon flank and would have to be dealt with. 


Urien's command of levy sheltered the monks as they reached safety ... his levy troops steadfastly stood in shieldwall repelling a single group of Saxon warriors. 


The commander of the Britons, Coroticus, annihilates the Saxon left flank, killing their leader. However, the Saxon Seigberht, is enraged by the loss of his countrymen and hurries to engage the flank of the British. 


Near the stone hut the Saxon Lord, Hrodgar, sends only part of his force to attack Medraut's men. 


The battle rages in the centre. Shock mounts on both sides. 


Half of Coroticus's forces fall but bearing the holy banner of the virgin he fearth the pagan NOT! 


Especially when Urien approaches the rear of the Saxons ... this is going to hurt. And it did ... Coroticus by the end of the battle had killed two Saxon leaders and demolished three units of their warriors. Does an Arthur rise? 


Almost the end ... Medraut's levy are sent packing by Hrodgar's warriors ... but then he confronts them with his warriors. God smiled upon the Britons this night. 

In all a good battle ,,, esp as I commanded the British ... but as I have said before ... it just left us all felling a little limp and like we were missing something ... my Dark Age search continues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment