Wednesday 29 December 2021

Weird Expansion

 My reading has remained fixed on the subject of weird fiction. I find the genre very enjoyable - although a little hit and miss - perhaps due to the nature of the writing (ie: to fit into a regular magazine with a fixed audience.) 


Of all, Lovecraft and Smith I enjoy the most with Howard producing some fine tales ... many of which almost leave the horror genre and become action stories. Howard did revisit stories several times, this includes ideas or themes, but these did get better (I'm thinking about the development of the degenerate underground race best illustrated in 'Worms of the Earth.) I can detect Machen's view of fairy creatures here. 




I'm looking forward to reading the critical analysis of Joshi and the horror fiction of Bloch (I would like to read more of his stories later - I've listen to a few and very much enjoy his style and humour.) I have also found Blackwood to be excellent - but due to his writing in an earlier period style, a modern reader needs to persevere. 



No comments:

Post a Comment