Monday 27 December 2021

Postcards from the Lagoon

 I have posted images of my ADLG 15mm late medieval Venetians before but I wanted to show off some better images. Now I'm on hols, I can take photos in the day more easily and natural light makes for better images with my crappy old phone. In any case here they are. I'm very pleased with the results.  


(My beloved Captain General ... and what a banner! Pete's Flags ... what a champion!) 

(Medium cav XB, Hungarian LC Bow and knights aplenty in rear)

(LF - XB, Handgun, Bow ... and the main battle line behind.)

(My beloved mercenary pike and MF - or HF - 2HW - with that superstar = heavy artillery.) 

The miniatures were Mirliton - who were a bit hit and miss. When the miniatures are good they are very good BUT there is a little too much size variation in regard to the longbow and some weakness (too thin) around weapons - especially lances. I particularly liked the Italian crossbow, pikes, stradioti and all the knights. I do like the longbowmen too but they are just head and shoulders larger than the other foot miniatures.

(Knights and stradotti - a single bases of LC XB far left)


(My XB line - Italian and Dalmatian) 

All up - I do really like the army - I'm just going to have to be very careful in handling it. 


(Hand gunners, Longbow, Knights and stradotti) 

(Medium cav XB - magnificent troops - more knights and Hungarian LC Bow)

I must say that the Condotta army in ADLG is AWESOME!!! 

It has ALL the toys with some wonderful options. I love the medium foot 2HW for operating in, and charging out of, rough terrain. These are deadly. Two bases of elite longbow are very powerful especially included in a cavalry command. The amount of light foot is very dangerous for other western medieval armies - and these are very well protected by the stradotti who are a significant threat. Once maneuvered through the enemy line they can sack the camp or attack a flank or rear wonderfully. Pike and dismounted knights are a VERY powerful combination and that single heavy artillery to plink away at the enemy forces the opposing general to make decisions - and the result is usually not a good choice for them. 

I love to take a shooty army with knights and pikes to clean up once the arrows finish flying. The sheer amount of hits this army can put on will seriously stack up and push the opponent toward the break point very quickly. Then the pressure mounts as they will snap with not too many routs.

What can I say? The Venetians move well, shoot well and fight well. A great army that involves you in all phases of the game ... and it loves to ambush too (and doesn't mind fighting in some terrain too.) 

(Another image of my XB line ... with dismounted knights bases behind. I have four and am yet to experiment with choosing to dismount my knights. A great addition to a heavy battle line.)

(That's a line of significant heavy hitters ... and boy do they punch on when they do! If my missile line can put a few hits on the target first - its serious trouble when these boys go in.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment