Monday 11 October 2021

ADLG 15m Venetians Complete


Looking at the photos, it really doesn't look like too many figs. A major benefit of ADLG is that each army doesn't demand too many miniatures. Despite that, there are around 80-100 infantry and about 60 cavalry in the force. A tidy sum. 


I had no inkling that I would paint a Venetian force from the outset - in fact i wanted a all purpose Italian army. It didn't turn out that way as Venice called me. The history did it really as the Venetians were embroiled in many major conflicts. Interesting condottieri commanders such as Attendolo, Piccinino and Colleoni made my choice easy. The Venetians fought all and sundry in north Italy and beyond - not always successfully (which I find another drawing factor.) 



I used Mirliton miniatures. I'm not sure I would choose this range again. There are many fine details - too fine with hands that are not easy to drill nor details easy to hit with a brush. Overall, i think there is a softness to the metal that could be improved. Having said that - the casts and minis speak for themselves in what is an attractive and period accurate force. Just a couple more flags to the knight bases will really make this force 'pop.' 


Not only do I have the Venetians basics for the list but a range of options too. A good mix of melee and missile foot support a strong knight option - 8 bases if needed or affordable. The new addition of 4 bases of dismounted knights give the army flexibility. I can now run an all mounted force or a strong foot army depending on my opponent or desire at the time. 


The mix of many heavy and light troops make the Venetians very versatile. A great force for ambushes (as I have already demonstrated against a pedestrian German medieval force) and flank marches - or just the threat of either to discombobulate the foe. Onward, ... for the Doge! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment