Wednesday 14 July 2021

Blucher Rides Again


This week myself and my good friend Nick returned to Blucher. We both agree that it is about the best wargame we have ever played. It is perfect for a week night game supplying a thoroughly satisfying experience, with tense command decisions, within a reasonable time and in sufficient magnitude. 

In other words ... it supplies a BIG Napoleonic experience without oppressive rules. 

I've been trying to fit a 20 or 30 point general personality into my 200 point allotment. This means the army is down a few units and must use the character advantages to the full. 

I haven't achieved this yet ... but I've had great fun with the MOBILITY rule. 


Quite simple ... each turn you can activate almost your entire army. 

This game shows an enormous Prusssian right hook. I shifted my four commands across in that direction - promptly telegraphing my entire intent - in the least subtle display of tactics ever made. And as the above picture shows I got into a bit of a traffic jam. 


The French pressed up in the centre to take pressure for their left. 


The Prussians surged on regardless. I used Blucher who also supplied my forces with the LEGEND trait increasing my force's morale/break point. 


Bloody mindedly - I threw in my troops again and again ... until they were spent. 


I just couldn't break the French cavalry on their left in combat. Nick wisely drew back making my assault more difficult. I had unluckily attacked the wrong flank - coming up against Guard cavalry which proved too tough for me to break. 


My losses mounted ... but I stuck to my plan ... and charged once more ... 

... and died. Blucher lost ... 


... but Marshall Vorwarts will return. Nothing could be surer. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment