Saturday 29 August 2020

Spring, Napoleonics and a Slippery Dip










 

Winter's grip is lifting, the sun is shining and my Napoleonic project is so close to ending. I am painting only skirmishers and a final Prussian battery. While my wife and daughter were away I set up my completed units. 31 infantry, 8 cavalry and 10 batteries + command. 

I have also been grumbling about the quality of some of my in-game photography at night so I resolved to make use of the light. I carried one table into the back yard and set this up. Unfortunately it was too breezey to put any terrain on the table. I resultant spectacle of Napoleonic mass is - for me - quite impressive.










 

Above shows the Brandenberg uhlans supporting brigades of line, reserve and landwehr regiments. 










 

My French are regiments with line and light uniform but also greatcoat. This represents those many thousands hurried into the ranks in 1813 and 1814. Many units mix line or light and greatcoat figures. I mass the normal uniform to the front of such units. 


Looking down the Prussian line ... 













Looking across the French line ... a brigade commander rides forward to inspire the men. 



Some men even sport a dark blue greatcoat pilfered from the stores of the guard. 











The bulk of the Prussian line. I find the landwehr just glow with their blue and yellow. The line do not appear as bright due to the large amounts of black - not just shakos but also the leather and dark blanket rolls. 

Looming behind is the prize of the battle ... Napoleon's slippery dip!


















The Prussian Grenadiers above from Yorck's corps - army of Silesia. 


Prussian cavalry ... the 2nd Life Hussars, Dragoons and below the Landwehr. 













Opposing the Prussian cavalry a heavy brigade ... 2 cuirassier and 1 dragoon. The Emperor's mailed fist. 












Lacoste awaits the Emperor's command to lead forward a brigade of Young Guard. (I do want to change the fanion on the right ...) 

















My French light infantry - supported by chasseurs. 

All up ... I'm pretty happy - photos turned out well. A nice afternoon!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment