Tuesday 7 July 2020

Foam Wargames Scenery

Making terrain continues using some inspiration from Mordheim and Black Magic Craft videos. I've been using the remaining hard blue foam that I have. It is around 40mm thick and needs lots of cutting to get into a usable amount. I have a problem keeping  the cuts straight but I'm getting better with practice.

I've been trying to design on paper first then transfer into foam. On paper my plans are very rudimentary but I try to focus on what I think I can achieve. The irregularity of my blocks really lend the terrain to a more Neolithic theme than a medieval context - perhaps early medieval at best. This means the pieces will fit quite nicely into the Britain of My Mind scenery I've already made.

At the moment I am working toward Mordheim games. I, like any old man, look back favourably on the past and atm I'm thinking about a move towards the fantasy games I've loudly derided for 10-15 years.


(One of my better batches of blocks ... gosh you need a lot.) 


(Above - the 'thus far' unused too irregular blocks - maybe if I ever do stone age or have a need for ruined cyclopean masonry???) 

In any case ... the making ... I cut the blocks into reasonably similar sizes (I tried very irregular blocks but found them very difficult to use. Also they wouldn't fit into any terrain theme I'm trying to accomplish.) Over time I've improved my eye in cutting more regular blocks and have a better idea of the size to cut - approx. 1.5 cm x 1.5cm and about 2-3cm in length. The shaking method (jagged rocks in a can) then textures but also compacts to foam blocks a bit. This has led to the blocks being simply too small - this can be seen in the middle section of my ruined tower. I ended up gluing several layers of blocks that were too thin before discarding that batch. With my next batch I'm going to increase the size - probably about an inch square but keep the length to 3-4 cm.

PVA has been my glue of choice - because I only have PVA and am nervous about getting and trying a hot glue gun. I find the blocks need at least 24 hours to set properly. I paint with a mixture of black paint, more PVA, some water and multi-purpose filler to get that final bit of stability, strength, bond and texture. Not too much filler - as I discovered with my first magic well build - it went too far away from those nice rocky 'sarsen' like edges and faces achieved by using blue foam in the first place. That's why I re-did the magic well.

The well was quite easy to build but worrying as the final step involved the pouring of the Watson's glass finish to simulate water. I really wasn't sure that all the gaps had been filled (again with multi purpose filler) and thought the glass finish would just come oozing out. This didn't happen. I also added more hardener to the mix than advised just to make sure it set quickly and well. I opted for an almost clear mix with only a couple of waterdrops of a very pale blue paint. I just painted the mystical portal on the bottom. I had a couple of attempts at that before I was happy with the effect. No sure I am happy.


(The first well ... will be discarded ... but I learnt a lot.) 



(The final well above and below.) 



The tower took quite a while and actually began as just a test project to see how the blocks would bond. I kept building and building and suddenly I'd put too many layers on (and invested too many hours) to walk away. The floor is paddle pop sticks and two kebab skewers to support. All the paint is from the dollar store. Only a bit of Vallejo neutral grey as a second or third coat. Make the grey that much stronger in appearance.




(The little black dwarf gives an idea of scale.) 


Finally, I must say that gluing little blocks is tedious and time consuming. I always like more time efficient faster crafting of scenery. After watching Black Magic Craft, I saw the episode where the gent from Germany (?) visits. His method involves cutting 'into' the hard foam with a pencil. I tried it and found this much faster for me. 


Also ... my first attempt worked very well. I'm happy. It may be rudimentary by the high standards of 'Shifting Lands' (whose work is divine) but it will suit my purposes. I'm after a way of adding some height to my skirmish ruined city board. Some 10cm square or 20cm square pieces of blue foam (stackable) will work just fine for this. I'll use some ladders or walkway pieces (that I've used for years with my adventure games - check back 3-4 years in the blog to see) to link up. I do like the idea of a skaven assassin launching off one of these to stab someone below. 


How's it done? You just cut right into the foam with a sharpened pencil. A couple of stones are painted irregular colours and a black wash was added. The top was just stippled with multi purpose filler then painted brown. I need to give the one pictured another coat of brown, then a little dry brush of something lighter then some flock. I do like the look of these. 

In the next few days (post is a little unreliable in these COVID days) the Sigmarite mausoleum will arrive and then some gothic horror fun will commence. (Evil laugh!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment