Thursday 7 September 2017

New Recruits for Napoleon's 1813 campaign



My Napoleonic army is expanding albeit slowly.


This project has thus far been a focus for 8 almost 9 months and shows no sign of abating. This is after a relentless effort of months of solidly investing at least 2-3 hours per evening to the project. (I know that for this time I should have better results but this is about the best I can produce and I'm quite proud of the effect even though better is easily found on the interweb.)








In fact, as all good wargaming projects do, it has increasing in scope. I initially decided I would paint 9 infantry regiments (of 32 miniatures each - a number that I have always found daunting ... how I was lead to this number is another story and no entirely in my hands.) Then i decided I would have at least 11. Now mostly I'm thinking 15 or possibly 17 as I desire now to represent two 1813 brigades and a brigade of Young Guard and with cavalry support.




The battles of Bautzen, Lutzen and Leipzig are firmly in my mind especially the division then corps led by Souham whose troops were embroiled in the thick of the fighting in each instance of battle. On the good side I have finished the heavy cavalry arm of the army. This I envisaged as the armoured fist of the army - cuirassiers - as I have no desire to represent guard cavalry. This would be some of the last remaining heavy cavalry units from the 1813 and 1814 campaigns led by Etienne de Pommeroux or Jean Pierre comte Doumerc (either of whom sound like the embodiment of complete french-i-ness in their elaborate names.)


Oh well, enough for now and onto the miniatures. I have just taken these images cowering in on my coffee table in the back room worried that the light would wake my infant daughter ... thankfully nothing has happened as yet and some of the snaps have turned out alright (although the 8th Cuirassier that I just poured 2 weeks of painting into didn't photograph too well.)

1 comment:

  1. I should add that while this looks small there are 286 infantry, 36 cavalry and 8 guns with 32 crew + Napoloeon in these images. Which, I think, is quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete