Thursday 23 April 2020

African Colonial Wargames Additions


As the virus rages around the world ... and seems to be simmering to a halt on our fair island ... my painting does not abate. I thought i was finished all my miniatures (until the next order arrives) but found several packs of African spearmen for Colonial games - such as the excellent Congo. 



The initial group I painted were warriors from an African tribe around Lake Nyasa - perhaps the Ngoni, Kololo or Barotse. This was painted with close reference to Chris Peers excellent work on "Armies of 19th Central Africa." Well worth the coin - although it may be quite pricey these days? 







I painted two groups ... one being my long awaited cannibals - from an unspecified tribal group. These may be far more from a mythical Darkest Africa than the real place. The skeletal painted marking took much longer than anticipated to paint. I rushed at them. Should have done them in a first watery light grey then a white over the top. But I didn't. The facial markings proved key to a threatening paint scheme. This also was harder than first thought and requires a miniature with more angular features to be more effective. Rounded faces don't look too threatening. 
In any case, here are my cannibals - ready for the jungle around the Congo. 


Please note in the background a drop of the finest craft ales from hereabouts - well about 150 kms away. The 4 Pines brewery produces wonderful craft beer and the Amber Ale is one of the best ... dare I say ... session-able ... tipples on offer. Huzzah Colonial wargames and Huzzah craft beer!



No comments:

Post a Comment