Thursday 4 January 2024

The Gauls Return


With the advent of ADLG - as the dominant ancient rules - armies do not demand the same number of miniatures they once did. With this in mind. I decided to get my Gauls back on the table. This was the first army I collected for ancients. I never used it very often and, when I did, it never performed very well. As it would cost me nothing (almost nothing I purchased new bases), I retouched the paint and rebased by Gauls. 

This is certainly not my best work with the brush, but I'm pleased with the mass effect and will only use the army on occasion. So, it works for me!


Most miniatures are Old Glory 15s with a smattering of Museum and Irregular thrown in. Some were truly horrible sculpts and many of these were thrown away - but I did keep one or two and sneak them in across the army. 


I've six bases of cavalry, two of light cavalry, seven light foot (jav and slingers) and - the meat and potatoes - fourteen bases of heavy foot. So far, I've done 2 generals in chariots with one more on the painting desk. 


I do like the irregular, surging effect created by the mixed poses. It portrays a seething mass of humanity ready to charge forward. 


Above is the shot from my drone. 


The big cock at the back is my camp. In most ancients games, a camp is required and with the symbol of France being a rooster ... what better than a giant cock to waggle at your foes! 


My thanks to my friend, Mick B, who gave me this miniature some years ago. It is Corvus Belli's Boudicca. She'll be my 2nd in command. 


I only have 8 bases of medium infantry Gaesati to paint - that's only 24 miniatures. This will give me the earlier option of medium elite infantry for ADLG. I believe this is the better option. My current version is the later solduri option with two bases of heavy elite swordsmen with armour. ATM, I intend to use my cavalry to support the main line almost from the back - plugging gaps and looking for a flank to exploit. As the heavy foot are all impetuous, I view this as the only part of the force I can actually control with any certainty. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment