Saturday 7 August 2021

Last of the Barbarians

 Hunted by crusading forces and lured by the desires of civilisation, the once sparse but overall numberless inhabitants of the far north and west have dwindled. Now few remain keen to the old ways. 

The three warriors are my final current investment of human warriors. I find these more evocative than the easily stereotypical and typecast forces of non-humans. Mortal men are capable of such a range of roles and actions that they fire my imagination. Also, alike Batman, humans in fantasy are easily outmatched by all other races but struggle on with praise worthy courage and determination. What illustrates the energy, consistent struggle and raging heart of humanity more than the noble barbarian?


Not just the last few of their tribes but also the last of my frostgrave miniatures, these three barbarians have just been flocked and name tagged. Not part of my Middenhiem or Reikland warbands, these barbarians could be employed by the former or charge from the forests to defend their sacred places. 


Two poor quality images of figures I chose to paint in a range of browns to reflect their frontier lives. Did it work ... partially? But I'll save my final judgement until i varnish. 

On the left is Gort - the old - in the centre is Ulrich - a talented warrior and dextrous hunter while on the right is Conrad - a fighter possessing bearlike strength and capable of savagery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment