Monday 27 January 2020

Napoleonic Prussians

It has been ... around 1 year ... i think ... since I first daubed a Prussian.

Sure, the blogging has been reduced but the painting has continued especially on my Napoleonic project that began around 3 years ago. I always like to paint pairs of armies and after my French the decision was easily made due my strong interest in the 1813 campaigns in Germany. It just had to be Prussia.

When I first caught the Napoleonic bug - at around 16 years of age - I recall my local library possessed a wonderful book on the Waterloo campaign. Back then I spent my first ever pay check to buy 20mm plastic (ESCI?) British but my interest in the Battle of Ligny was sparked by the book and must have festered ever since.

(Note: I have no interest in British armies now ... I view the playstyle of small elite armies as quite dull - give me a massed force of barely trained troops any day.)

Now, after reading both Nafziger and Leggiere on the 1813 campaign, I am enthused by the thought of the avenging soldiers of Prussia and the flair and bravery of their commanders. I am hungry to be finally finished so I can hurl brigades of Prussians against the newly conscripted French in battles such as the Katzbach, Dresden, Kulm, Lutzen, Bautzen, Leipzig ... (that's why I like 1813 - huge scale battles just keep occurring deciding the fate of Europe.)

So in any case here is a first look at my Prussians ... 2 cavalry regiments, 10 infantry battalions, 3 batteries and brigade commanders. The target is 4 more infantry and 2 more cavalry units. Old Marshall Vorwarts will be painted next. (My basing - if interested - is intended for Blucher - my favoured set of rules for this period BY FAR!)


















1 comment: